Let’s know the roles and responsibilities of Project Manager, Product Manager, and Project Leader.
Product Manager: –
They are frequently talked as CEO of their products. In some organization, we call them Account Managers. They include the product during its life cycle. They should deliver the products that the customer would appreciate as well as accept. They take responsibility for their products from its very origin. They involve in:-
- Setting product strategy.
- Translating product features.
- Promoting and improving their products.
- They envision the products and bring them to life through efforts.
Project managers are specialists in project management principles. They are Expert project management professionals often serve as project managers.
They engage in managing the projects. They take the responsibility of delivering projects end to end within the constraints of resources, budget and time. They are the initiators of the product strategies set by the product manager. They are completely responsible during the project lifecycle. They connect with the product managers to understand product requirements or features. They communicate these expectations to the project team.
They are answerable to lead the project work as the name suggests. They involve during the project life to lead the project team. They maintain the team dynamics. They never flop to show their leadership skills during a project as well as they keep the team focus together. They have team management and conflict resolution skills.
There exist some of the organizations, where the functions take the projects, the functional heads representative a separate to lead the project as a project leader. These project leaders are work on ad – hoc basis on the projects.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Project Management & Project Manager Team
As we have, product managers are the CEOs of their products. The product manager is responsible for its products during product life. They generate the product idea and also make efforts to turn those ideas into reality. They are responsible for setting product policy and communicating the same to their relevant parties. They gather and understand product requirements. And they set the goals to meet these requirements. They help discover new product features & analyze market demand for the same.
To meet product policy throughout projects, they remain in continuous touch with project managers. Product managers show concern in their product as a project deliverable. They are also responsible for product promotions and releases.
The typical responsibilities of a product manager are listed below:
- They are responsible for setting the product policy.
- They generate product concepts and also identify product requirements.
- They are responsible for product release.
- Their responsibilities include product introduction into the market as well as product promotion.
- Product Managers involve in product costing and concerned with profit/ loss due to their products.
- Product Managers are also responsible for organizational training on their products.
- Product Managers are responsible for the wider span of product control.
Project Manager: –
Who are experts in project management, they skilled professionals. Their main attention is to deliver the project as expected. They are least concerned about the complete product lifecycle. And only concerned about their project life cycle. They are decent at delivering expected project results as planned.
For the projects related to product delivery, project managers understand the requirements and features of the product manager. Product managers set their expectations for the product. And project managers explain these outlooks to the project team to act upon.
They guarantee the product delivery within specified time, as per cost estimated and within scope. Sometimes, they also engage with customers to understand their product requirements.
The typical responsibilities of a project manager are listed below:
- Project Manager responsible to articulate the project plan to deliver project outcome as expected.
- They are responsible for managing triple constraints. – scope, budget and time, while working on a project.
- Project Managers are responsible for understanding the clear expectations for the project deliverable (product) and also ensure the team understands the same.
- Their responsibilities include computing and tracking team progress, checking project performance and suggest appropriate actions.
- They also recognize project risks and take suitable actions.
- Manages the stakeholders and project resources during the project.
- During the project life cycle, they update the project status to relevant project stakeholders.
Project leaders are more afraid about leading people during a project. Human resources are the toughest to manage. Project leaders manage team dynamics during projects. They confirm the focus of the team on project deliverable.
Interested in project results with their people and they show this interest to their team. They show this passion to walk the talk. They keep their team motivated. And they certify the team gets its reward after successful project delivery.
The responsibilities of a project leader also include the following:
- Project Leaders are responsible for setting the expectations for their team members.
- They are responsible to set the direction for their team during project work.
- They act as a problem solver in a project.
- They are responsible for conflict resolutions.
- They are responsible for their team performance, hence, they review the team performance during the project.
- They possess team building skill. Hence, they are significant resources to add value to the project.
- They are responsible for recognizing the efforts of their team members. They confirm the team should get their owed rewards.
- Project leaders also responsible to ensure the team should not stray from the goal.
- Also, the project leader is responsible to bring the team back on track.