What’s a DevOps?
DevOps is a combination of Development and Operations. It is a workflow that emphasizes communication between software developers and IT professionals managing production environments while automating the deployment of software and infrastructure changes. The role of the DevOps Engineer is to combine both development and operations into one continuous process.
DevOps is not a tool or software, it’s a culture of communication and cross-functional collaboration that you can adopt for continuous improvement.
With different goals, different responsibilities, communication becomes difficult.
Having common goals between departments, make all members of a team aware of the fact that there are common goals which can reduce the gap between them which helps in achieving better results and reach valued goals.
Real-world set of skills required to become a DevOps Engineer =>
Configure(Ansible) ==> Version(Git) ==> Package(Docker) ==> Deploy(Jenkins) ==> Run(Kubernetes) ==> Monitor(Prometheus)
How to Become a DevOps Engineer:
1. Learn A Programming Language = Python, Go, Nodejs.
2. Learn Networking & Security Basics = How HTTP, DNS, FTP, and other protocols work and configuring your infrastructure network are things that you should know.
3. Learn Scripting = Scripting is a must-know thing. Bash and Python are the most used scripting languages.
4. Learn How To Manage Servers = One of the principal is managing servers. To do this, some good knowledge about CPU, architecture, memory.. is needed. The other thing to learn is operating systems, especially Linux.
6. Learn How To Build Software= Building comes before running. Building software is generally creating an application in any language and check different ways to install its dependencies and build your code.
7. Learn How To Automate= Once you learned how to build software, you can use tools like Jenkins with ansible or any CM language to automate build.
8. Learn Configuration Management= Learning CM tool will make your life easier and jobs fully automated. Saltstack, Ansible, Chef, Puppet..etc are CM tools
9. Learn Infrastructure As Code= Choose a cloud provider (AWS, GCP..etc) and learn about it properly or do certification
10. Learn How To Monitor Software = A software deployed in production should be monitored. Sensu, Prometheus..are the tools you can learn
11. Learn About Containers & Orchestration= Containers like Docker are a must-know skill! One needs to have good skills in creating, building, deploying and managing containers in development and production environments.
12. Learn & Share= Learning is a continuous process and sharing your knowledge could help you learn more!
One of the world’s driving preparing suppliers, MSys Training Offers DevOps Practitioner Certification Training Course. At MSys you find a panel of globally acclaimed instructors. We provide practical projects, with DevOps tools, practical assignments with DevOps tools and comprehensive simulation exams. Choosing MSys gives you 100% value for your money with 6 months of Q&A support and 100% affirmation to pass the confirmation exam in the first endeavor. For individual or corporate training inquiries please drop them a question at [email protected] or call them +1-408 878 3078.